Overactive Bladder Treatment in Clearwater, FL
The urologists at Clearwater Sex Health offer a full spectrum of testing and treatment for patients experiencing symptoms of overactive bladder. If you have been diagnosed with an overactive bladder and are seeking treatment, contact Clearwater Sex Health to discuss your symptoms and the treatment options available with Interstim. To schedule your appointment at our urology clinics in Palm Harbor and Largo, FL, please call (727) 441-1508 or request an appointment online!
There are many ways to manage bladder control problems. Remember, if conservative treatments don’t deliver the results you need, you have more options.
Conservative treatments can help some people but may not work very well (or at all) for others. All of these are relatively simple behavioral changes that you may already be doing.
- Diet and exercise: Changes may include decreasing your caffeine intake and getting more exercise.
- Bladder retraining: Also called biofeedback, this involves delaying going to the bathroom and sticking to a strict schedule.
- Pelvic floor strengthening: This can be accomplished through Kegel exercises, which involve repeatedly contracting and relaxing the muscles of the pelvic floor.
When lifestyle changes fail to deliver the results you want, oral medications are the next step. These medications can help control symptoms but may cause other issues.
You have to remember to take these medications every day. Some side effects can be unpleasant, such as dry mouth, blurry vision, constipation, and hypertension.2 Other side effects are more serious. In fact, data suggests that one class of drugs for OAB (anticholinergics) may increase risk of dementia in elderly people.3 Even more important, these medications don't always work. In one survey, 72% of people said they stopped taking their medication after just six months.4
If conservative treatments don’t deliver the results you want, you have more options.
Medtronic Bladder Control Therapy Delivered by The InterStim™ System
- Try it during an evaluation
- Proven long-term relief5
Implanting an InterStim™ system has risks similar to any surgical procedure, including swelling, bruising, bleeding, and infection. Talk with your doctor about ways to minimize these risks. Complications can occur with the evaluation, including movement of the wire, technical problems with the device, and some temporary pain. Your doctor or nurse will provide you with the information regarding how to operate the test device and inform you of other precautions related to the evaluation and activity restrictions.
Learn More About Medtronic Bladder Control Therapy Delivered by the InterStim System
Information on this site should not be used as a substitute for talking with your doctor. Always talk with your doctor about diagnosis and treatment information.
*Medtronic Bladder Control Therapies do not treat obstructive urinary retention.
1. American Urological Association. Diagnosis and treatment of non-neurogenic overactive bladder (OAB) in adults: an AUA/SUFU guideline. www.auanet.org/guidelines/overactive-bladder-(oab)-guideline. Accessed August 5, 2020.
2. Haab F, Castro‐Diaz D. (2005), Persistence with antimuscarinic therapy in patients with overactive bladder. Int J Clin Prac, 59: 931-937.
3. Gray S, Anderson M, Dublin S et al. Cumulative use of strong anticholinergics and incident dementia. JAMA Intern Med. 2015;175(3):401-407.
4. Yeaw J, Benner J, Walt JG et al. Comparing adherence and persistence across 6 chronic medication classes. J Manag Care Pharm. 2009:15(9): 724-736.
5. Siegel S, Noblett K, Mangel J, et al. Five year follow-up results of a prospective, multicenter study in overactive bladder subjects treated with sacral neuromodulation. 2018; 199(1), 229-236.
Schedule a Consultation for Overactive Bladder Treatment in Clearwater Today!
f you are experiencing symptoms of overactive bladder or have been recently diagnosed, contact Clearwater Sex Health to discuss your symptoms and the surgical and nonsurgical treatment options available. Clearwater Sex Health offers OAB treatment with the latest advancements in incontinence treatment for patients located in the Clearwater area. To schedule oab testing at our urology clinic in Palm Harbor and Largo, FL, please call (727) 441-1508 or request an appointment through our secure online form.