UTI Treatment in Clearwater, FL
A Urinary tract infection, or UTI, is an infection in the urinary system that is typically found in the bladder. Urinary tract infections are more often found in women than men. The symptoms of a urinary tract infection can be painful and uncomfortable, but can be easily treated when caught early on.
The urologists at Clearwater Sex Health provide diagnosis and treatment for UTIs in patients located in the Tampa Bay area. If you are experiencing symptoms of a UTI, contact Clearwater Sex Health to discuss how our urologists can relieve your symptoms. To schedule your appointment at our urology clinics in Clearwater, FL, please call (727) 441-1508 or request an appointment online!
What Are the Types of UTIs?
- Kidneys (acute pyelonephritis): a severe kidney infection that includes symptoms such as a high fever, bloody/cloudy urine, and nausea and vomiting
- Bladder (cystitis): inflammation of the bladder caused by a bacterial infection, which typically results in frequent and painful urination
- Urethra (urethritis): burning urination with discharge
What Are the Symptoms of a UTI?
It is important to stay vigilant of the following signs and symptoms to help identify if you are in fact suffering from a urinary tract infection:
- A burning feeling when you urinate
- A frequent urge to urinate
- Frequent, small amounts of urine
- Cloudy, dark, or bloody urine
- Fever or chills
- Pelvic pain (more common in women)
If you experience one or more of these common UTI symptoms, contact Clearwater Sex Health as soon as possible to receive early intervention and treatment.
What Causes a UTI?
The most common cause of a urinary tract infection is when bacteria enters the urinary tract through the urethra and spreads toward the bladder. This bacteria can quickly multiply to reach the point of becoming a serious infection of the urinary tract. If the infection is not treated, it may continue on to affect the kidneys and their function. Women are more prone to urinary tract infections than men due to the fact that females have a shorter urethra, which allows for a quicker introduction of bacteria to the bladder.
How is a UTI Treated?
Our providers usually treat urinary tract infections with antibiotics, though more substantial treatment may be needed if the infection has spread to other areas of the urinary system. Symptoms typically clear up within a few days of treatment, but it is often recommended to continue the antibiotics for up to a week or more. Pain medication may be prescribed in addition to the antibiotics in order to numb the bladder and urethra that often cause a very unpleasant burning sensation during urination when a UTI is present.
How to Prevent a UTI?
Follow these lifestyle tips in order to prevent urinary tract infections in the future:
- Drink plenty of water
- Empty your bladder as soon as you feel the urge to urinate and ensure that you have emptied your bladder completely
- Wipe from front to back
- Urinate after sex to flush out any bacteria
- Avoid feminine products that may irritate the urinary system or genital area
Schedule an Appointment for UTI Treatment in Clearwater, FL
If you think you are experiencing symptoms of a urinary tract infection or have any additional questions on prevention, contact the urologists at Clearwater Sex Health to discuss your testing and treatment. Our urologists provide the highest quality of care and education for patients throughout the Tampa Bay area. To schedule your UTI consultation at our urology clinics in Clearwater, FL, please call (727) 441-1508 or request an appointment online today.